Niles Cartouchian (1800s)
By day, Cartouchian is a trusted and prosperous detective specializing in gem-related crimes.
By night, Cartouchian becomes The Sigil -- a symbol of menace to criminals, a sign of hope to citizens.
He is a bitter rival of gem detective and arms dealer Egon Rhodomunde, and has accused Rhodomunde of collaborating with crime lord Baron Zersetzung in a centuries-long enterprise which secretly provides human victims to demons in exchange for life-extension gems.
The family name Cartouchian derives from the word cartouche, a carved tablet or drawing representing a scroll with rolled-up ends, used ornamentally or bearing an inscription.
His father Virgil Cartouchian has been widely praised as the world's greatest Sigil Engineer.
In the News
Alice Beta and Niles Cartouchian Play Chess wins Pulitzer prize, hailed as "most entertaining illustration of our time."
Niles Cartouchian captures, interrogates supervillain Fugitive Rubies.
Publication of Niles Cartouchian and Anton Rhodomunde Confront Gnotilus blamed for wave of copycat gem crimes.
Supervillain Fugitive Rubies involuntarily luminesces under green laser interrogation, re-emits red light.
Alice Beta thinks of her friend Cartouchian "while there is still time in this world."
- Alice Beta - secret identity of crime-fighting superhero The Governess
- Baron Zersetzung - crime lord
- Egon Rhodomunde - arms dealer and rival gem detective
- Ellis Cartouchian - brother of Niles
- Niles Cartouchian
- Niles Cartouchian (1900s)
- Virgil Cartouchian - famed Sigil Engineer, and father of Niles and Ellis Cartouchian.
- The Sigil (crime fighter)